I just want to share a little bit of what I was sharing the other day with my weekly Bible study group about God’s grace and specifically the meaning of our freedom in Christ.
First I want to share some thoughts in regards to our freedom in Christ. Some people think that our freedom in Christ is something that need to go by hand with works. As happened in the churches of Galatia back in time some people still today think that we are saved by His grace but that we also need to observe certain rules, some groups even go far to say that we should observe the Law. In the other side we have those who use the freedom in Christ to excuse their behaviors, mostly fleshly ones. The apostle Paul faced both of these views in the Book of Galatians. Let see for example what he said about following other thing but God’s grace in chapter one:
Gal 1:6-16 ASV
(6) I marvel that ye are so quickly removing from him that called you in the grace of Christ unto a different gospel;
(7) which is not another gospel only there are some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
(8) But though we, or an angel from heaven, should preach unto you any gospel other than that which we preached unto you, let him be anathema.
(9) As we have said before, so say I now again, if any man preacheth unto you any gospel other than that which ye received, let him be anathema.
(10) For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? or am I striving to please men? if I were still pleasing men, I should not be a servant of Christ.
(11) For I make known to you, brethren, as touching the gospel which was preached by me, that it is not after man.
(12) For neither did I receive it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came to me through revelation of Jesus Christ.
(13) For ye have heard of my manner of life in time past in the Jews’ religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and made havoc of it:
(14) and I advanced in the Jews’ religion beyond many of mine own age among my countrymen, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers.
(15) But when it was the good pleasure of God, who separated me, even from my mother’s womb, and called me through his grace,
(16) to reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the Gentiles; straightway I conferred not with flesh and blood:
First thing Paul established is his call and from whom he did receive the revelation for the gospel he was called to teach and preach around the then known world. Then he made clear there is not another gospel (there is no another revelation in regards to salvation, which is only by grace), and those who are teaching this so called “other gospel” are just anathemas. In other word, as he said, even if an angel comes from heaven and preach another way to be saved, he is an anathema. Strong worlds, there is no bias in the preaching of the gospel, salvation is obtain only by grace, the undeserved gift from God to all mankind.
Then, if there is any doubt between the Celtics (Galatians) about Paul, he explain that when he was a Pharisee there was no other more zealous of the law , no other more courageous than him to protect and preserve the Jewish religion, and for that reason he was a persecutor of the Church.
The point here is this, as happened in Paul’s time is also happening in the mid of some churches today, there are people teaching that we should do certain things if we want to go to heaven. Others are offering miracles and signs to those who send them financial support, and many other things we see happening today.
There is no other way for a person to receive salvation, we are saved only by His grace, believing in faith, that’s all which God request from us in order to grant us the Salvation that was obtained by the blood of Jesus.
Later I will post some other articles in this topic of grace and our freedom in Christ. We are really free from the bondage of sin, and from the bondage of our flesh in Christ and we should use that freedom as the Bible teach us in order to help advance His kingdom.
See all of you in the next article. All opinions and contribution made out of respect are welcome.